William and Mary Mohrmann had 1010 Cedar Avenue built in 1880 on land owned by Mary Schenley. They were just 30 and 28 years old, respectively. The house was constructed in the Second Empire style, which is shown in the mansard roof of its front section. The home’s exterior was among the most progressive designs in the Pittsburgh area in the 1880s and suggests influence of an East coast architect. The incised carving of the stone window lintels, stone belt courses, brick corbels, and horizontal and vertical recessed panels in the facade brick were features that became more common locally in the 1880s.